0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9


What should I do?

What are the Issues?

What should I do concerning Hazardous Waste?

Storage of hazardous waste

All hazardous waste should be notified to the Health and Safety Office at Lackham, who will ensure that the correct procedures are followed. They will ensure that a Hazardous Waste Consignment Note is properly completed. They will need details of the waste:

They need this information to fulfil our legal duty to provide a detailed description of the waste. The items to be disposed of must be enumerated in detail on the note - generalisations can lead to legal comeback, and even the waste being returned to us. The Health and Safety Office will maintain the records, but a record should also be kept with the department that generated the waste

Storage of waste electrical & electronic equipment, batteries and tyres

In order to minimise the risk of contamination that may reduce the efficiency of recycling processes, these items MUST be stored;

Note: some WEEE may also be classed as hazardous waste. This can be a particular concern if items are broken or partially dismantled (when health and safety concerns are likely to arise).


No waste may be disposed of on-site (such as by burning, burying or pouring down drain). Nobody may be permitted to remove waste from any College site unless they are licensed by the Environment Agency and approved by the Director of Estates. All waste movements (except for Hazardous Waste, see below) must be fully described on a Waste Transfer Note, detailing the exact types and amounts of waste using the European Waste Catalogue descriptions, and held by the Estates Department for two years.

It is illegal for the College to allow any non-licensed organisation (apart from the Council) to handle any of its waste. Evidence, in the form of an authorised copy of their licence, must be viewed for all contractors used. It is the legal duty of the College to ensure that organisations are correctly licensed and to keep proof; it is not sufficient to rely on the waste company's assurances. This process is managed by the Director of Estates.

College waste must not be taken to household waste recycling centres (or similar), even if staff are taking their own waste there.

Disposal of hazardous waste

For hazardous waste, additional checks are required to ensure that waste companies are licensed for the particular materials.

All Hazardous Waste must be recorded on a Hazardous Waste Consignment Note. This will be provided by the waste handling contractor, but should be completed by the Faculty / Division generating the waste. The items to be disposed of must be enumerated in detail on the note - generalisations can lead to legal comeback, and even the waste being returned to us. Completed consignment notes must be forwarded to your Site Officer (Estates) for archiving.

Quick reference guide detailing the correct procedure for Hazardous Waste.

Disposal of WEEE, Tyres and batteries

It is illegal for such items to be disposed of at landfill sites. Specialist disposal which maximises recycling opportunities must be utilised, which will involve using a specialist company.

Waste minimisation

Furthermore the College is legally obliged to minimise waste production either directly through efficient use, or indirectly through utilising recycled materials.

Some examples of how this might be achieved:

Further Information

Please contact the College Environmental Co-ordinator for further advice. You may also find the following websites helpful: